Classify your employees with this eBook.

Classify Your Employees Correctly with This eBook

Posted September 15, 2016 by Justworks in Keeping Compliant
From contract employee to salaried employee and the five other types in between, this guide helps you classify your team members correctly.

As an employer, you’re probably aware of a few different job classifications, such as salaried employees versus contractors. However, employee classification actually goes farther than those two basic camps.

It’s important to know the differences as well: the Department of Labor could fine your company and make it pay back taxes for improperly classifying employees.

This eBook describes the difference between all seven different types of employment status, including:

  1. Full time employees - Employees who work 30-40 hours or more a week on a regular basis.
  2. Part time employees - Employees who work under 30 hours a week on a regular basis.
  3. Temporary employees - Seasonal employees who stay for a limited period.
  4. Independent contractors - Contributors outsourced to work on a specific project or for a certain period of time.
  5. Statutory employees and statutory non-employees - Two types of contractors, who often work for sales.
  6. Interns - Temporary employees whose payment may depend on whether you have a nonprofit or for-profit business.
  7. Volunteers - People who work for free, often exclusively for non-profits.

Learn how to correctly classify seven different types of workers with our simple guide.

Get the Guide

So, how do you tell employee types apart? This guide will run you through various factors, including:

  • How to protect your organization
  • Hours and days worked per week
  • Seasonal employment
  • Common-law employment
  • IRS definitions
  • Federal standards

You can download it for free here.

This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.