What End Of Year Forms Do Small Businesses Need To File?

Posted December 10, 2019 by Justworks in Keeping Compliant
It's that time of year again. We made a list of forms and due dates your company will need to file in the coming months.

With the year nearly over, it is important to be prepared for what forms you need to gather, file, and send to your employees and contractors for the coming tax season. While most have to do with taxes, some are meant to assess whether you’ll need to pay penalties to the IRS. In all cases, failure to timely file these forms can lead to late filing penalties.

There are some key dates that you need to remember to ensure that all of your end-of-year forms are filed correctly, on time, and without any fines. Here, find a list of common federal tax filings and dates for employers.

For the full list, download our ebook for the 2019 edition of The Justworks Guide to End of Year.

End of Year Tax Filing

By January 31

Form W-2

Employers must file a Form W-2 for each employee who (i) they have paid $600 or more in wages, (ii) they have withheld income, social security, or Medicare tax from, or (iii) they would have withheld income tax from if the employee had claimed no more than one withholding allowance or had not claimed exemption from withholding on Form W-4. Employers must also furnish a copy of Form W-2 to employees by this date.

Failure to file and furnish W-2s on time will cost you; the IRS can assess a penalty of $50 per W-2 (if you file the correct form within 30 days of the due date). Depending on how late you file and furnish W-2s, the penalty can be as much as $270 per form.

Ready to dive into end-of-year filings? The Justworks Guide to End of Year can help.

Get the Free Ebook

Form 1099-MISC

Employers must file a Form 1099-MISC for each person to whom an employer has paid during the year at least $600 in prizes and awards, medical and health care payments, services performed by someone who is not your employee, or certain other nonemployee compensation. Employers must also furnish a copy to contractors by January 31.

Form 1096

If your company filed 1099s, you’ll need to file Form 1096, which is the transmittal form used to summarize information on Forms 1099-MISC.

Forms 940 and 941

IRS Form 940 is used to report annual Federal Unemployment Tax, or FUTA. FUTA provides funding to state unemployment agencies, which provide unemployment compensation to workers who have lost their jobs.

Employers use Form 941 as a quarterly tax return to report income taxes, social security tax, or Medicare tax withheld from employees’ paychecks. It’s also used to pay the employer’s portion of social security or Medicare tax. As such, the fourth quarter’s Form 941 is due on January 31 as well.

Form 1095-C

If your business is an Applicable Large Employer (ALE) under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), you need to distribute Form 1095-C to each of your full-time employees by January 31. ALEs are employers with at least 50 full-time equivalent employees.

By February 28 (by mail)

Note: If you’re filing the following forms electronically rather than by mail, the deadline is March 31.

Form 1095-C

If your business is an ALE, you should also file a Form 1095-C with the IRS.

Form 1094-C

Form 1094-C is a “cover sheet” for the 1095-C forms. It provides information on things like the employer, number of employees, and contact person.

Justworks Can Help 

We understand that end of year tax returns can get confusing. Download our ebook for even more forms, due dates, and tips to stay on track this season.

Justworks is a Professional Employer Organization (PEO), which means we even file certain forms for our customers. How convenient is that? We also help businesses with payroll, compliance support, and other HR needs. Learn more about Justworks here.

This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.